I posted three pictures in Flickr tonight, just random pictures of myself and my family. Personally, I would use Flickr only for personal reasons. I know for a fact that it is blocked at my school and many others. This is due to the image searches that the kids can do. I know we also run into some problems with Google Images, but there are some people who use Flickr in a negative way. Also, if I'm going to be posting to Flickr, I'm not going to share my images with the public. It can be a scary thing to post pictures of children only to have some creep comment on it. I have run into that before.
If I were going to have my students use this tool, I would teach them about the rules, as I would with any online tool. I would also make sure to have their parents involved in the photo process. Parents need to be involved because of the naivete that goes on with our students. They always think it will never happen to them, but things can happen. Education on the tools is key.
CR
Thanks for reinforcing the need for involving parents! They need to be educated, also, on these new tools and how to safely use them, right along with the students.
ReplyDelete